Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Weekly Plans: ocean


Weekly themes are finally back in my life. Nothing like a bout of the flu to get me itching for order! I LOVE the ocean and Afton's passion for all things ocean surpasses my own. She will sit on the couch and look at her National Geographic Ocean book for a solid hour, rattling off facts she has learned ("whale sharks have gillrakers and eat plankton). So little effort is required to make this week's lessons a HUGE HIT!

Here's a peek at our week:

Today we made the above pictured art project: painting sea colors on wax paper then sticking on ocean cutouts (aren't you jealous of my fancy scissor skills?). The pink thing is the phytoplankton we learned about in depth today.

We also did a hands-on science project finding out which objects will float in salt water but not in fresh water. Easy prep with high amounts in interest...a bonus!

Ocean in a bottle...food coloring, sand, shells and plastic sea creatures...messy great fun!

Sea Creature shadow play. My cut out skills will be showcased in wonder this week!

Ocean collage (thanks to the free magazines at the library!). My kids are mesmerized with scissors and glue!

And as Afton was frustrated to tears that her shark drawing was not perfect today...each day we will practice drawing a different sea creature. I think this will become a standard activity in our weekly adventures now that Afton is intent on drawing things just right. And my drawing could stand for improvement as well!

1 comment:

kelly said...

Easton saw this pic and said "oh wow, fish!" Now he keeps saying "look at do (those) fish!" He's very impressed and jealous.