Sunday, January 13, 2008

Afton Update

My social butterfly, Afton, fianlly joined up with the Joy School co-op in our ward. I am feeling really comfortable with our unpredictable lifestyle these days, and Afton was craving a lot more friend time. She loves going to her "friends preschool" and especially loves the paper "gunny bag" monster who comes out to eat up the toys that the kids didn't pick up.

I haven't released her from the Mommy taught preschool though. I want to keep her learning at home focused on spelling, reading and writing (all of which she is doing well at...in fact at church today she spelled words to keep herself busy). I have to bribe her to read most of the time still, she get one sticker for a short book and 2 for a long book. When one row is filled up she gets to pick a treat or trinket from a special basket I have and when the whole chart is filled, she gets to choose a new book.

Here is a poem we wrote last week for "all about me" week.

And a bracelet Afton made spelling her name.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Great poem Afton!

Tara said...

Wow! Does Afton know how to read all by herself? That is amazing! How did you do that?

Lizzy said...

Afton is reading pretty well. starfall.com helps teach basics and concepts in ways I never could!