Monday, August 6, 2007

Just Abel



Abel is a toddler! This hit me the other day when I realized that Able full on runs, uses small sentences/phrases, understand what we say to him and has quite the potential to be ornery. And he gets to go to nursery in 2 Sunday’s (hooray!) a definite toddler milestone.

We have a little walk from our parking spot to our front door. I usually try to carry Abel because if I don’t he constantly veers onto rocks, behind bushed, up other houses sidewalks and up any curb or step he can find…and then runs away from me when I come to fetch him. His favorite game is “Get Goo” otherwise known as get you or chase. He says the words and off he runs looking back over his shoulder for me or Afton or Patrick to come after him with tickling hands. The only time Abel doesn’t want to run is when we walk to a park, or around the our neighborhood. He can sense what the walk is and 50 feet outside our fence, come sup to my legs, arms up and begging “Hold you!” until I pick him up (if I encourage him to walk or run, he will for a second, then usually plops himself down or comes back to beg again).

A few sentences or phrases that Abel is saying”

I uh you (I love you)
Eeee Fooot (eat food)
He go (here you go)

Other cute words:

Sahee (sorry)
Hekaka (helicopter)
Woowa (sometimes for ruler, sometimes for something he sees out the window which I cannot yet recognize)
Hello, Yellow, (said correctly. Abel is really into pronouncing his “L” sound now)

Abel is also understanding most everything we ask/tell him. He will successfully retrieve both shoes when I ask him too. He puts any stray binkies in his crib because they are only for bedtime. And he is working hard to remember not to throw (food, cups, toys, shoes) and hand the object to me, or place it softly somewhere appropriate.

The ornery bit…I’m still trying to figure out how Abel ticks with his moods. After sleeping, most days, he wants me to hold him for a bit of time. I seem to read the wrong most days though. Abel is a professional head thrower backer. He has whacked himself on walks, crib railings, and furniture because he insists on throwing himself backwards with full force to communicate his feelings. He no longer gets soothing from me, instead is greeted with the raised eyebrow and so will hopefully soon discard this behavior. Abel saves his screaming frustrations for moments when he wants down and cannot be down (escaping at church, grocery shopping, carseat riding and diaper changes). His kicking skills are getting quite good from practicing his disappointment. Good thing he is super cute and I don’t take it personally when one of his feet connect. And all these moments give him practive with his “saaeee” manners.

Other fun things:

Abel says “cus me” when he burps (courtesy of big sister teaching)
Abel blows raspberries on other people whenever bare flesh is at mouth level (also courtesy of big sister)
Today Abel said “ticko, ticko” and wiggles his fingers in the air.

I love this photo because it shows off the explorer side of Abel. He is constantly walking/running about to check things out.

3 comments:

Mumsy said...

He's darling! Fritz is starting to do some of the same things--not quite as much because he's still quite a bit younger. But I am loving having a little boy! They are so fun.

I love seeing what's going on with you guys.

Kelly said...

I love seeing your cute kids! Now I feel like I am actually closer and know how you guys are doing. I loved talking to you the other night too. It was fun catching up.

Ellen on the go said...

Here is a miniature Uncle Jeff!!! Oh, how I would love to be there and capture all these fab moments. He really is a sweet boy.Reminds me of the All American Boy next door even at this age. Bet he will be ejoying Nursery.